Thursday, October 20, 2011

Recipe of the Week!

Pasta and Lentil Soup
Delicious! And not only will I use this recipe again, but I will make lentils more often. I bought the dry kind instead of the canned to save some money and I was worried I might mess things up, but it was pretty simple and I had some left over lentils to eat for lunch the next day! I also doubled the recipe below so we would have lots of leftovers. I think I either used a pasta shape that was too big or I should have added more water, but it was still very good.

5 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, smashed
1 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
8oz small pasta
2 14oz can of lentils (one drained, one undrained)...I used 14oz dry lentils and cooked them the night before I made this.

Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add onion, garlic, pepper flakes, and cook until onion is soft. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring for about 2 minutes. Add chicken broth and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil and add pasta and cook for 5 minutes. Add the lentils and reduce heat to medium. Simmer until pasta is tender. Stir in 1/4 cup of parmesan and add salt to taste. Ladle into bowls and top with remaining parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment