Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Spring Break Wrap-Up

Ok so really this is mostly going to be a recipe post, but I felt boring when I realized when my last post was also a recipe, so I had to change it up a little. The rest of my Spring Break was great. I had some time to get a few things done around N. VA and then Matt and I headed to Pittsburgh for Easter weekend to celebrate with my family. If you know anything about my family, you know they do NOT cook. And just so you know my mom and her sisters will openly admit this so I'm not being rude. I was told to make something for the occasion. A few weeks ago I started a Pinterest account (more on this experiment later) and was very inspired by this picture:


I decided that Easter was a great occasion for this cake. The problem is while I LOVE to cook, I do not love to bake. I did want to give a good cake a try though and decided to make one from scratch. I chose an Almond Raspberry Layer Cake that I found on Smitten Kitchen topped with a Cream Cheese frosting from the same source. The decorating was raspberries and blueberries with almond slices. This was the project of all projects. Very time consuming. It was probably my last cake for awhile, but I think it turned out well. It was very good and also very cute. Here are some pictures of my cake...I think it looks pretty similar!





And just so this isn't truly a Recipe of the Week! post...While in Pittsburgh my family went to the Hofbrauhaus for dinner. It was a fun time. And I thought this picture was pretty cool. A bird has built a nest in a tree thats right in front of my parents front porch. I wish I could go back when the eggs hatch and get a picture of the babies, but I guess the pretty blue eggs will have to do. 










No comments:

Post a Comment