Sunday, April 3, 2011

Weekend Wrap-Up

The weather was decent this weekend. Decent meaning not quite what I think Virginia should be the first weekend in April, but it wasn't exactly Pittsburgh either. So today we took advantage of the sunshine and warmer temperatures and went on a bike ride. More on that in just a second. Friday night we went out with one of my college roommates, Melissa, and her fiance, Ted. We met them at Faccia Luna in Clarendon. Melissa used to live here, but now splits her time between here and Norfolk where Ted is currently stationed. She was here this week, so I was very glad to see her. We had a great time. Lots of laughing and ridiculousness was had :) Saturday was not so eventful...mostly cleaning and other household logistics. I did talk to my sister, though, and we organized a trip to the PSU/Alabama game this fall. Super exciting!

Ok so now back to this bike ride. Maybe you remember one of my first blog posts where I mentioned making an exciting new purchase?!? Well it was the bike. Bike riding after many years hiatus is difficult my friends. Gladly, it comes back quite quickly, however, I didn't quite trust myself on this bike so I spent a few afternoons riding in the metro parking lot before taking it out for real. Ridiculous, yes, but if you know me, you know that I frequently have accidents involving self-injury so I thought it was for the best. A couple of weekends ago we went on our first real bike ride on the W&OD Trail. I about died. I thought I was going to throw up a lot of the time. I vowed to never eat a grilled cheese before bike riding again. Today was better. We decided to go the opposite way on the W&OD and it is definitely the better way to go. It's a lot quieter going away from DC and there were less people. It's also a little flatter (so we thought). We rode out about 6 miles on the trail, all the way to Reston (I was very impressed). Then we decided to turn around...this is when we found out that it wasn't flat. It was slightly downhill the whole way. Rough when you have to go uphill the whole way back. I also survived my first fall on the way home. Thankfully I think it wasn't very witnessed and I caught myself pretty well. Probably the most successful part of this bike ride was getting Matt up at 8:45 to go on it, followed by the fact we went between 13 and 14 miles roundtrip. Not so bad for my second (serious) bike ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment