Friday, March 2, 2012

Recipe of the Week!

Black Bean Soup
I love black bean soup from Panera, so I tried to make my own. I don't think it was as good, but it was still pretty good. I followed the recipe below, but I doubled it to have lots of leftovers. I thought it was very salty, so in the future I might not double the bouillon. I topped my mine with avocado and cilantro sour cream, but you could do nothing, tortilla chips, cheese, etc. And just to let you know in the process of this soup making I had a major kitchen disaster. I accidently pushed the power button on the blender with the top off. It was straight out of a movie. Soup everywhere and a very burnt hand. Be careful!

Ingredients:
1 onion finely, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 celery ribs, chopped
1/4 red pepper, chopped
2 vegetable bouillon cubes
1-1.5 cups boiling water
2 fifteen ounce cans black beans,  undrained
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 lemon juiced
1.5 tbsp. cornstarch

Instructions: 
Combine first six ingredients in a lot pot and simmer for 10 minutes. Add half a can of beans, salt, and cumin, cook 5 more minutes. Puree soup in blender. Transfer the soup back to the pot and add the remaining beans. Combine the cornstarch with equal parts water, add to soup. Add lemon juice and cook until thickened. 

No comments:

Post a Comment