Friday, February 25, 2011

Recipe of the Week!

So I've decided that maybe I should start posting one recipe a week, preferably one that I have actually tried that week. Today will be my first such post. Tonight I made calzones. This is not something new in 709. We eat calzones every once and a while, and tonight we were due for some. I use to get my pizza dough from Wegman's, but we recently purchased some from The Italian Store in Arlington and it is very delicious. The Italian Store in general is very delicious. Anyway, my point is that you can just get your favorite dough and roll it out on your countertop (Matt and I usually split a 1lb. ball and its more than enough for 2 people). 


Then you can fill it with whatever you like. Typically, we do ricotta cheese, caramelized onions, hot sausage, and mozzarella cheese. I needed a change of pace so I put ricotta, caramelized onions, mushrooms, pepperoni, and mozzarella in tonight. Before putting everything on the dough it needs to be cooked. After you are satisfied with your filling just fold it over, seal it, and pop it in the oven. I like to drizzle the outside with some olive oil too.


I highly recommend the piece of foil under the calzones incase they explode. I learned this the hard way. Leave the calzones in the oven on 400ish for about 20-30 minutes depending on how you like your dough. Then take them out and eat them!


As you may have noticed I am not the measuring type. I pretty much guess at recipes until they look or taste good, but I really feel like this is something you can't mess up. I think the hardest part is rolling out the dough. Happy eating!

1 comment:

  1. I regret to inform you that I can mess up pretty much anything, but this sounds very tasty. I may try to do this. Should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete