Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Recipe of the Week!

I mentioned in my last post I needed celebrity chefs for my Recipes of the Week. Well no one volunteered. Thank you. I did get a suggestion from my Uncle Tim-Tom that I use my fabulous Wedding Recipe Cookbook and select from recipes so that's what is happening here. This post features Tim-Tom and Cornish Game Hens. I look forward to make these in our new house. T-minus 9 days people. It can't come soon enough. I'm over this. On to the hens.

Stuffed Cornish Game Hens
This is a fake picture :)
Ingredients:
2 - 1 pound cornish game hens
2 tbs. slivered almonds
2 tbs. chopped onions
1/3 cup long grain rice, uncooked
3 tbs. butter
salt and pepper
1 cup water
1 chicken bullion cube
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms

Directions:
Season hens inside and out with salt and pepper. In a small saucepan cook almonds, onion, rice, and butter for 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add water, bullion, lemon juice, and salt. Bring mixture to boil to dissolve bullion. Reduce heat, cover, and cook slowly until liquid is absorbed and rice is fluffy. Stir in mushrooms.

Stuff hens with rice mixture. Place breast up in shallow baking pan. brush with melted butter. Roast covered at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and roast 1 more hour .

According to Tim-Tom this was in Better Homes and Gardens "Cooking for Two" in 1968. It was to be used by lonely bachelors inviting young ladies over for dinner. You are also supposed to serve it with 2 bottles of wine.


No comments:

Post a Comment