Sunday, September 8, 2013

Labor Day/Oktoberfest


Over Labor Day weekend Matt and I traveled to Pittsburgh to visit my family. My sister wanted to throw an Oktoberfest party and requested our presence. I believe the idea started as a way to try all the seasonal beers that come out in the fall, but then took on a German theme as well. The menu for the day included brats, sausages, hot dogs, and kielbasa for the main course as well as soft pretzels, potato salad, and other various sides. The assignment: everyone had to bring a hard to find, unique, or seasonal brew. For those of you who don't know, the majority of my extended family lives in Pittsburgh and joined in this event as well. 

I did research online about where we could get some different beers in Pittsburgh. We ended up venturing into New Kensington to the House of 1000 Beers. I have to tell you this place turned out to be a little bit of a gem. While shopping among the 1,000 beers we enjoyed one of their 40 beers that they have on tap...and none of them were your average beer. They had an entire section dedicated to pumpkin beer and oktoberfest. We each bought a six pack...none of the beers we had ever tasted before. Matt chose one he still is talking about as the best beer of his life...and it should be since it cost $9. I found the beer pictured above (Sweet Baby Jesus - a chocolate peanut butter stout - not that amazing) and bought it for my mom since she really likes Jesus (and I'm sure really appreciates me posting it on my blog). 

This was a great event to welcome fall. And since there is still plenty of time left between now and the end of October you can have your very own Oktoberfest! Just make sure to invite us!



No comments:

Post a Comment