Thursday, July 10, 2014

Recipe of the Week

Homemade Pesto
I have been growing basil this summer, and at one point had so much I decided to make some pesto. I had a couple of kitchen disasters during this recipe, but in the end it all worked out. Making this pesto was the first time I had ever used my food processor. I could not get that thing to work for me. Turns out I put it together backwards. Thank goodness for google. Then I accidentally dumped too much salt in and completely forgot to add the parmesan cheese. It still tasted good once the whole meal was together though! Next time, though, I will add that parmesan. I served my pesto with pasta, fresh mozzarella, and some grilled chicken.

Ingredients:
2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup almonds (I used almonds, but you could also use pine nuts)
2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
Combine the basil, garlic, and almonds in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add the olive oil and process until fully incorporated and smooth. Season with salt and pepper and mix in parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment