Monday, August 3, 2015

Recipe of the Week!

Buttermilk Biscuits
I randomly got a craving for biscuits, probably a month ago, so I made these things. I felt so southern. They are pretty simple, but a little messy. I made myself take a very long walk before making these, and then ate them straight out of the oven. It was awesome. The recipe makes a dozen, so I had a whole bunch leftover. I was all excited that I could have them for breakfast the next couple of days. Biggest disappointment ever. Not even close to the same as straight out of the oven. All I wanted to do was take a time machine and go back and eat more fresh biscuits. Lesson learned.

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1⁄4 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
6 tbsp unsalted butter, very cold
1 cup buttermilk

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450°F. Combine the dry ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Cut the butter into chunks and pulse a few times until a cornmeal like consistency is achieved. Add the buttermilk and mix just until combined. If it appears on the dry side, add a little more buttermilk. It should be very wet. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Gently pat the dough out until it's about 1/2" thick. Fold the dough about 5 times, gently press the dough down to a 1 inch thick square. Cut the dough into 12 smaller squares (I did squares so that I didn't waste any dough, you could use a round cutter if you want circles). Place the biscuits on a cookie sheet - if you like soft sides, put them touching each other. If you like crusty sides, put them about 1 inch apart. Bake for about 10-12 minutes, until the biscuits are a light golden brown on top and bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment