Thursday, April 17, 2014

Recipe of the Week!

Avogolemono
I LOVE THIS RECIPE! I'm serious. Its incredibly easy and so delicious. There is a little tricky part, but if you are patient and don't freak out...everything will be OK. Avogolemono is a Greek soup, similar to chicken and rice soup. I first tried the soup at the fabulous Katerina's. After having it, I pondered possibly making it myself. After googling many times, and finally deciding to get serious about making it myself instead of begging Matt to go eat there, I found a recipe for it on Dinner: A Love Story (one of my fave blogs). I followed her recipe pretty closely. To make things easier on myself, when I make this I use a rotisserie chicken that you can buy at the grocery store and shred the chicken breasts to use in the soup. Really, I highly recommend this. You will not be sorry. 

Ingredients:
4 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup uncooked orzo
salt and pepper
3 eggs
3 tablespoons lemon juice
shredded rotisserie chicken (I use only the breast meat, I do not like dark meat. Matt eats that for dinner the next day. We are a great white meat/dark meat team.)

Directions:
In a large saucepan, bring the broth to a boil. Add the orzo and cook until tender. Season with the salt and pepper and reduce heat to low. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and lemon juice until smooth. *Now comes the tricky part* Ladle about 1 cup of the hot broth into the egg and lemon mixture, whisking to combine. Add the mixture back to the simmering saucepan. Stir continuously just until the soup becomes opaque and thickens as the eggs cook. *The trick with the eggs is to slowly combine and quickly whisk so that you don't get scrambled eggs instead of the egg making the soup thicken.* Add the chicken and salt and pepper to taste. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment