Monday, June 13, 2011

Strawberries Galore! And the Recipe of the Week!



On Saturday Matt and I went to Hollin Farms. This was a Jeopardy date planned by Matt. We had a fun filled morning picking strawberries and some snow peas. It was quite an adventure. We started out picking strawberries. It was some hard work. The strawberries hide and you have to dig through the plant to actually find berries. And these berries were tiny compared to good old Wegman's, but we still ended up filling 3 quarts of berries. We had so many berries that there was no way we could eat all of them before they went bad...the solution? Strawberry Pie. Also known as the recipe of the week below! After we were finished with berries we moved on to snow peas were were much easier to pick. They were also delicious. We had them for dinner that night and I still am wishing we picked more. I would love to go back later in the summer to pick through some of their summer crops. 

This was not a glamourous activity

Before we get to the recipe...I would just like to note my strawberry pie debacle. When we went to eat the pie Saturday night I was trying to get it out of the pan and it was nearly impossible. This is when I first noticed that I never baked the pie crust. Seriously? This is why I'm not a baker, I prefer cooking food. I have never been so thankful that pie crusts come in sets of two. 


Strawberry Pie:

Ingredients

  • 1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
  • 1 quart fresh strawberries
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

  • Directions

  • Arrange half of strawberries in baked pastry shell. Mash remaining berries and combine with sugar in a medium saucepan. Place saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.

  • In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water. Gradually stir cornstarch mixture into boiling strawberry mixture. Reduce heat and simmer mixture until thickened, about 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour mixture over berries in pastry shell. Chill for several hours before serving. 

Doesn't look the most appetizing, but it was pretty good.


No comments:

Post a Comment