Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Recipe of the Week

Monkey Bread
I'm not big into breakfast, and I am really not into sweets. I would take salty and greasy over sweet any day. This monkey bread is an exception though. Maybe it's the massive amount of butter that reels me in every time. I have Elena Smith, kindergarten teacher, to thank for this recipe. She makes it every time her kindergarten team does birthday breakfast at school. Until I made it myself I would have sworn to you she laces it with the most addictive drugs. 

I decided to try it myself as a part of my contribution to our birthday breakfast this year...and this will conclude my blog breakfast series I have done the past few weeks. Constructing this monkey bread was only one of the biggest kitchen nightmares I've ever had. When I went to the grocery store there were so many buttermilk biscuit tubes to choose from that I got confused and just went middle of the road...not to big and not too small. This was a crucial mistake. Knowing now what I didn't know then I can tell you I should have went small because my biscuits ended up being too big. They baked up out of the pan into the oven rack. Disaster number one, but I quickly fixed that. Soon after the carmel sauce started flowing out of the pan, smoke was filling the entire first floor of my house, and the smoke alarm was sounding. All this and the center of the bread wasn't cooked through yet. Then I started getting more stressed because I needed to get going with all the other food I made so it could all be set up in time. Finally I just took it out of the oven and hoped for the best as I tried to transport a 350 pan to work. People ate it so I guess it wasn't that bad, but the process was ridiculous. 

As stressful as this was, I decided to try again Christmas morning (pictured above). This time I bought the correct biscuits...and realized right away why things had gone so awry a few days earlier. My best advice is to find the 4 pack of biscuits. It's vital. 

USE ONLY THESE BISCUITS OR YOU WILL IMMEDIATELY REGRET IT!

Ingredients:
3 packages of buttermilk biscuit tubes (7.5 oz tubes)
1 cup sugar 
2 tsp cinnamon 
1 cup butter 
1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)

Directions:
Take 3 packages of buttermilk biscuit tubes (10 per roll) and cut each roll into pieces (I cut each biscuit into fourths). In a large ziploc bag, mix sugar and cinnamon, drop biscuit pieces in and toss to coat. Drop sugar coated pieces into a well buttered bundt pan.

Put 1/2 cup of the left over cinnamon/sugar mix and 1/2 cup packed brown sugar and 1 cup of butter into a small saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil and remove immediately. Carefully drizzle over the roll pieces in pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Cool slightly in an upright position, then flip pan over a plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment