Thursday, March 26, 2020

Sunshine


Today was the most beautiful day outside. I really can't even remember what went on this morning besides the fact that we must have eaten breakfast and I had a virtual staff meeting. The many pieces of Connect Four were also laying around for most of the day, so we probably did that too. The afternoon was pretty great though. We went for a long walk and then played with sensory bins (rainbow rice and kinetic sand) outside in the driveway. Once Matt was done with work he took over and I went for a solo walk/run, and when I came home Quinn requested reading time in her room (she 'read' to herself while I got to read my book) while Matt made dinner.

Tonight was a bonus movie night. I worked on my work while Quinn was watching the Cat in the Hat. I am able to get a few things done during the day work wise, but I have been doing the bulk of anything I am attempting to do after Quinn goes to bed. I have actually broken down and downloaded some apps for the child. She thinks the apps are super important in her life now. It's pretty funny. Prior to this, I would say technology was almost non existent on a daily basis for Quinn. While I attended my meeting this morning, Matt covered the day's reading and sight word practice upstairs. Thankfully, both of us are working from home so we can tag team when needed.

Just a side note on the distance learning. I think it goes without saying that this is not ideal. Teaching is hard work. And doing it online, on the spur of the moment, with limited resources, and not much technology expertise really complicates the matter. There's also the fact that sometimes we can't even get kids to do their work in school, in our presence. I could go on about all the factors here, but I won't. I do think we need to think about the fact that the parents working from home with multiple children at multiple levels, who are not teachers, are trying their best to do everything. Educators are also trying to figure it all out on the home front and the 'school' front. Everyone is working hard here, and right now it's hard just to go to Target or Wegmans and hope they have what you need/want. It's a stressful time. I hope that everyone is able to find a balance in our current situation.


No comments:

Post a Comment