Friday, April 3, 2020

Tired


After a day at my old job (the one I'm now doing from home) I was beat. I mean exhausted a lot of days. Working in an elementary school can be thought of as putting on a performance for 8 hours a day. Always smiling, always waving, running from one situation to a crisis, calling parents, finding kids, trying to keep a video game, screen addicted kid engaged, etc. My mind constantly felt like it had so many tabs open trying to figure out which ones I could possibly close that day, or that minute, and which could wait without too much harm being done. The days were always so different from each other, though. Someone was always doing something. It is one of the best parts of my job...it was never boring. And after 12 years in the same position at the same school there are still surprises.

This work we are doing now is exhausting, but a totally different kind of exhausting. It's trying to figure out uncharted waters and information and possible plans changing everyday exhausting. Once you might have something slightly figured out it turns a totally new direction. The constant sitting in a chair reading long email after long email, sitting in Zoom meeting after Zoom meeting is a whole other kind of tired. It's also frustrating and boring. And then trying to parent on top of the whole thing is not a good mix. I had three straight hours of meetings this morning. Matt had some meetings at the same time. Quinn worked on some art quietly next to me for a little, then I let her watch TV the second hour, the third hour even she was bored of TV (which she loves, but we limit so it works when we use it).


After lunch I could take no more. I had to go outside. It was a beautiful day today. Quinn and I did some chalk in the driveway and FaceTimed my parents from the porch. We jumped on that chalk and tape bandwagon everyone else is on and I'm excited about how they turned out. We returned to the porch after dinner to play some Uno before bed. There was a lot of fighting today from dear sweet Elsa. I think even she's tired. The good news is that they are continuing with Spring Break next week, so we get sometime off from the craziness of the last three weeks. I'm looking forward to this weekend where no one will be working and we can do some fun activities together...around our house.


No comments:

Post a Comment