Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Zooooom

ALWAYS in my pocket
I feel like everyone has the fantasy that working at home would be amazing. Pajamas all day, no commute, far less interruptions to whatever your current task is, etc. Admittedly, I've had that dream, even though my job is just not possible from home. I should say the extent of my job is direct services to students, families, teachers, etc., so working from home doesn't make sense. I also just love interaction, so I wouldn't do great being home all day. Now we know working from home is 'possible' because it's what happening right now, but it is definitely a far cry from my everyday. As of a few days ago, working from home is no longer on my wish list.

Typically, I spend most of my day one-on-one with kids, with small groups, or in classrooms. There is also a lot of meetings and behind the scenes work in education, but it's not the bulk. Since March 13th the email has exploded, especially the reply alls. Friends, do not reply all! Honestly. One of my bosses finally put out an email basically saying enough of the reply alls - this is not manageable. Then there's the Zooming. I saw a few funny memes today stating that maybe Zoom caused the pandemic, or everyone was excited because all those staff meetings would now just be emails...just kidding cause Zoom. I mean it is nice to see people outside of my household and know they exist, but just like the emails there's a lot of Zoom happening. One more thing about Zoom...I wish I bought their stock in the first half of March.

Alright...in addition to my email dings today, we had a pretty normal pandemic day. We did teach Quinn some April Fools jokes, and I talked her down on her Amazon purchase to some paints and paintbrushes. I discovered during our online shopping that Amazon is out of a lot of things....paints, games, crafts. It was pretty crazy. I found some stuff on Target and I hope we get it all at some point.


On our walk around the neighborhood (the one where I kept telling Elsa its only 40 something degrees and she should put her coat on, and she let me know the cold never bothered her anyway) we found that they finally fenced off the playground in our neighborhood as well as the basketball courts. There were many people there everyday. I am so glad they finally did this. There was also a police car that was driving around monitoring. I have wished from the very beginning that they would have locked us down harder and then let up on some of the restrictions. It seems like its going the other way around. Clearly, I am ready for my old life to return.


No comments:

Post a Comment